Pita Thoughts

The scattered thoughts of a mind trying to remain open is a seemingly closed world.

Friday, December 02, 2005

"We, as a species, have fallen off our rocker."

A friend of mine wrote that to me after I sent her the following link, so I just had to share it.

http://www.venganza.org/

I found this quite amusing and it certainly does prove a point. A group of people have started the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster in response to the growing number of communities in the US requesting that "Divine Intelligence" (the theory that the Earth was created by "God") be taught in public schools, along with the "Theory of Evolution". Without getting into the politics of it all (because I avoid talk of politics most of the time, except with close friends), I would like to know what happened to the separation of church and state. The theory of evolution is science based, therefore as part of scientific study, we should learn it in school. The concept that God created all is based on religious beliefs and should remain in the church and church run institutions. I had a good friend in college (in the biology program, no less) who grew up in a very religious family and did not believe in evolution. I completely respect her beliefs, though the concept is beyond me as a scientific intellectual. I believe in plenty of concepts that can not yet be proven, such as ghosts, living beings in outer space and ESP, but I think eventually those concepts will all be proven to be true. How does one prove there is some "being" watching us, that one day decided to create all life? I would like more than stories written in books as proof.

But I digress, I do not want to start a religious debate. I simply am amused and amazed at the lengths people will go through to prove a point. Some people are completely closed-minded, therefore steps such as this one (which seem absolutely insane) can be necessary to make people think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home