Pita Thoughts

The scattered thoughts of a mind trying to remain open is a seemingly closed world.

Thursday, November 24, 2005

One down..................

Thanksgiving has come and gone. The start of the "Holiday Season" has begun. It was an uneventful day, as usual...blown out of proportion. Mom made the turkey and usual fixings and I made my oddities......and no one came to dinner. It is not that we expected a crowd of any kind, but what is the point of cooking so much food for just she and I? The dogs are happy, turkey and mashed potatos for them for a few days. I guess I am wondering what the point of the holidays are. I think Christmas is for kids, though it is so commercialized that even children don't have any "Christmas Spirit", they just want presents. I remember how excited I would be, just to look at the lights and decorate the tree. Mom and I may not have a tree this year, though I have said that before and gone out to pick my little pudgy tree. It seems to me that the holidays are such a disappointment, all the hype surrounding them, and poof....all over in less than a day.

Maybe if I had a family of my own I would feel differently. I am glad to have the holidays with my Mom, but I always loved spending those times with people I care about outside my family as well. My friends are all so busy with their own families, that just getting together for coffee seems a big deal, with all of us breaking out our calendars and comparing dates. How crazy is it that we can't just say.."hey, want to grab a bite to eat and have a walk through Boston Common and see the Christmas lights?" Ah well, people are busy, lives are complicated, everything changes. I remember a time when no calendars were needed.

Well, here's to the Holidays. May they be full of the goodwill and cheer they were meant to represent so long ago.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home