Pita Thoughts

The scattered thoughts of a mind trying to remain open is a seemingly closed world.

Friday, September 16, 2005

Innocence lost.....

I am terribly concerned for my 7yr old goddaughter and I feel like I need to help her. She is hurt and confused by what her dad has done to her Mom and now won't see him. I can understand why she would be upset, but I understand with the mind of an adult. Heather doesn't really understand why she is so angry or hurt, she just feels and doesn't know what to do about it. I get that way myself even now, so to be a 7yr old, it is so hard. The situation with Heather makes me think about my Dad and my feelings towards him. I feel anger and resentment, even today, after so many years. Part of me thinks it is wrong of me to feel this way, as he is my father and maybe he is remorseful for the pain he put our family through, but he hasn't shown any remorse, he isn't even around. Heather's dad is trying, but how can she express to him how she feels when she isn't sure herself what to say and there is nothing he can say to her to make it better. I want to ask my father why...why did you do that to Mom? Why did you betray her, why did you leave us, why weren't we good enough? Would I ask him these questions if I saw him again?? I don't really know. I don't think there is anything he can say to explain it away. I am angry that he left his children, that we aren't important to him, but I am most angry that he hurt my Mom. I think Heather sees the pain her mom is going through and in her mind doesn't want to betray her mom by forgiving her father. She can't understand why her Dad did what he did to her Mom...how could she? She is a child, with no understanding of adult relationships, therefore there is no way to tell her what reasoning was behind what happened. My Dad hurt my Mom so badly that she is still bitter today. I feel like I can never want to see or forgive him, as this would betray the person who loved me when he didn't, who made certain I was safe when he wasn't there. The pain is evident every time Mom thinks of him. She feels guilt for choosing such a lousy father, though it certainly isn't her fault. I take from my past a sense that I can not trust men, a fear even, that men will do nothing but hurt me. I try to erase this feeling from my mind, but after years of hearing this idea, of seeing the mistrust and anger emminating from my Mom, it is imbedded into me. I don't want Heather to become a bitter woman because of the mistakes of one man, even if he is her father. She needs to know that what happened to her parents had nothing at all to do with her or her siblings. It was a relationship between two adults, one that just didn't work.

Heather is the youngest of 3 children, as am I. Part of me always wondered if my birth was the beginning of the end of my parent's relationship, if my coming was just too much strain on my family. I know, most likely my Dad still would have cheated and my Mom still would have ended up hating him, but in the back of my mind that thought still lingers. I understand these thoughts that I have, why they are there, but still can not erase them. They are now part of me. Heather is a child, too young to understand even her own thoughts, so how do we keep them from becoming part of her? I wish I knew. I wish I could tell her it isn't her fault, Daddy messed up, but he loves his children. Mommy will be fine and she will always love you, even if you love your Daddy.....but this hasn't worked for anyone else, so it won't work for me. How do I get a stubborn little girl to break down and express what she is thinking and feeling? How do I help to keep her from erecting walls that will cave in on her in the future, to only give her more scars and cause even thicker walls to be formed?

2 Comments:

  • At 3:17 PM, Blogger zozosma said…

    my cousin has issues with trust with men, as well has issues with control. it's partly genetic, but it's also influenced by the family breaking down when she was so young. about the same age as this young girl. her father cheated. he was never present anyway. and her mother moved away and they lived with my grandparents for a while. her mother remarried and divorced again. had one other relationship that got serious but has since given up on men. that can't help but affect a young girl growing up. she's now having problems in her marriage, and i could give at least two reasons why and not b/c i'm there or talk to her much, but just from what i know about her and the dynamics that i witnessed with her and him when they were dating and just after they got married.

    it's hard to trust someone with something so delicate as your heart. that sounds corny, but it's true. the trouble is, if you don't take that risk, you'll never know the full depth of the experience of being in love and having that love returned. you cannot expect from someone, something you yourself are not willing to give. it sucks, but when you find someone you think is worth it, you just have to give over and trust. you might get hurt. or you might have the time of your life. find "the one". or one of "the ones" ;)

     
  • At 8:21 AM, Blogger Cairde said…

    Well Said Ames...thanks!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home