Pita Thoughts

The scattered thoughts of a mind trying to remain open is a seemingly closed world.

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Haven't Blogged in a few.....

Certainly not because I have had nothing to write about. Trouble is, my only time to write was at work and now I actually have "work" to do. Damn them for ruining "my" time. :)

I have been thinking a lot about temptation as of late. Temptation is a powerful force in one's life. Humans, all animals, are faced with temptation every day, sometimes something as small as giving into a craving for food and sometimes it means giving into something far greater....an "evil" so to speak. The Bible contains many stories of temptation, but no worries, not a chance of me spewing out some Catholic rhetoric to convince anyone of their own wrongdoing.

The thought of temptation and how one can deal with it came to mind when someone told me he was thinking of completely removing a certain item from his life, so as to not submit to his desires for it. I don't believe this action is the best manner in which to go about solving a problem. Completely removing the attraction is taking away one's chance to be strong and resist. Resistance is not futile (to be a dorky Trekky and quote from a Borg episode). There is no way to completely "delete" all temptation from our lives, therefore disposing of even the smallest one is, in essence, admitting failure, admitting to being unable to stop oneself from doing something that is, in the end, detrimental to one's existence. I know, seems a bit dramatic, but think about it. Take a simple example; I don't want to eat candy for dietary reasons, but someone puts a bowl of it in front of me. If I wanted to take the easy road, I would remove the bowl of candy from my view, even going so far as to have someone hide it from me. Though this may seem as though I would be resisting, I would actually be hiding from the problem (or hiding it from myself). I would prefer to have enough restraint to have that candy right in front of me and still be able to say no. It can be so easy to give in to a weakness, but as I learn and grow I hope that I become stronger and know when it is time to push away that bowl of candy and maintain my self-control and in the end obtain a bit more self-respect.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:01 PM, Blogger zozosma said…

    HA! i hate SPAM! can't you delete it? i don't know if you can in blogger. i can at my site, but that is greymatter. as in the majority of my brain...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home