Pita Thoughts

The scattered thoughts of a mind trying to remain open is a seemingly closed world.

Sunday, August 06, 2006

The Canal

I went to the ocean today. It is amazing how much more content the site and smell of the ocean can make me. I had originally just wanted to go for a drive, getting out of the house, but when I found myself in the area of the Cape Cod Canal, I decided to join the many others, and enjoy the day. There were a lot of people, it was the perfect day to be outdoors. The sun was shining and the temperature was a comfortable 80F. As I was unprepared to be walking, all I was wearing were my flip flops. I have made the mistake of walking a long distance in flip flops before, but I guess my feet suffer once again because I will never learn. I walked the full length of one side of the Canal, I believe it is 7 miles one way. The growing blisters were quite apparent as I reached one end, therefore the thought of having to walk back was less than pleasing. I sat for a bit, watching everyone go by. There were parents with their children, lovers, friends, either walking, roller-blading or riding their bikes. There were also the older folks, sitting in the shaded spots, enjoying a cool breeze and the fisherman, carefully standing on the wet rocks. I watched dogs walk by, staring at the water, apparently wishing it were high tide so that they might have the chance to go swimming.
No such luck for the hot dogs or my feet, the tide was far too low to attempt to traverse the wet, seaweed covered rocks, in order to dip our "paws".

Other than the fisherman, the only ones enjoying the low tide were the sea birds. The fish were visibly prevalent today, therefore the birds were not lacking in something to catch if they so desired. These three pals just sat together for awhile, enjoying the breeze. Even the wildlife enjoys the company of friends....

Someone has shown their artistic appreciation of the seabirds, particularly the gull. There are marvelous paintings on the walkway, various portraits of these lovely birds. It was nice to see, as most people hate seagulls because of the noise they make and the messes they leave behind.


Now after relaxing myself, getting all my work done that was required, it is time to rest and soak my sore feet. Here's to hoping the blisters let me run in the morning!


1 Comments:

  • At 9:13 PM, Blogger Gadzie said…

    http://www.capecodbikeguide.com/canal.asp

    They say 7.5, but 7 is close enough.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home