Pita Thoughts

The scattered thoughts of a mind trying to remain open is a seemingly closed world.

Saturday, March 04, 2006

The Simple Things

I haven't blogged in a few. I know I should stop thinking and just write, but I think that I am afraid if I write something down, it will be proven wrong eventually. In my head, it is mine.

I received an email from a friend listing what some young children believed love is. My favorite; "Love is what makes you smile when you're tired." This doesn't have to be physicall tired, lacking sleep. I think it is more pertinent when one is emotionally tired...drained from life. A true friend who cares will always be able to make you smile, even if you do not want to.

I had another quote I have been saving in my blog drafts to write about, but for whatever reason I can't seem to get the words down. It is in a book I have read. I was first intrigued at whom the author was quoting and then I began to realize the relevance of the statement to what has been on my mind as of late. Here goes:

"For happiness, how little suffices for happiness!.....the least thing precisely, the gentlest thing, the lightest thing, a lizard's rustling, a breath, a whisk, an eye glance - little maketh up the best happiness. Be still." - Friedrich Nietzsche.

I am sometimes struck at the moments which I seem to recall most vividly with people who have been or are important in my life. For example, one instance I recall again and again when I think of my ex of 5 yrs, is his walking past me at a party and just brushing his hand on my stomach. He was busy entertaining his guests, but he wanted me to know he was very much aware of my presence. That acknowledgement meant the world to me, not that he was not always making a point to keep his attention on me when he could. When I think of my trip to Nebraska to see Retta, I remember looking up at her at lunch and thinking how amazing it was that I had just met this woman in person a day prior, but I was incredibly comfortable with her and knew I could tell her anything. There are, of course, many other memories from these people, but those small ones seem to stick in my mind and make me smile.

I enjoy the simple, quiet times with those I care about. I appreciate the time, the stillness that comes with knowing I am with someone I can trust. These are the times which quiet my mind and make me the most content. If I can stop each day and stand on my back door enjoying the silence of the early morning, my day can not be a loss. For just those fleeting moments of peace renew me, make me feel alive, make me happy.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:54 PM, Blogger Ryann said…

    quoting Nietzsche... that's a dangerous road :P

    one of my all time favourite philosophers.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home